Mold requires nutrients to survive. Plant material including cardboard, wood, fabrics, and other cellulose materials helps to provide these nutrients. While there are nearly 300,000 types of mold worldwide, they each thrive in specific scenarios. Most mold however, will grows best in damp, warm places that have poor ventilation.
A musty odor is one of the first signs of Mold. Some Mold however, does not five off an odor. Mold growth is often mistaken for dirt, but it can be detected with the naked eye. If you are experiencing unexplained respiratory or health problems, this can be a sign of the presence of Mold.
While not 100% reliable, you can use tests found in hardware stores to detect Mold in your home or business. It is best however to count on the experts to detect and identify the scope and size of your Mold problem.
While most Mold is not dangerous to healthy people, the CDC says there is evidence that links Mold exposure to respiratory problems. However, more serious health problems can occur with extended periods of exposure.
Indoor mold can be responsible for the following in unhealthy people and those with sensitivities to it:
– Itchiness/ Stuffiness/ Chronic sinus infections
– Runny nose or Fever
– Wheezing/ Shortness of Breath/ Asthma attacks
– Watery eyes/ Irritation
– Fungal infections
Mold damage can be extensive as it eats away at the surfaces it lives on. Mold can ruin drywall, furniture, carpeting, ventilation systems, as well as clothing and other personal items. On a larger scale it can render a home uninhabitable do to health risks and structural damage.
While it’s possible that it could take weeks for Mold to start growing in flood damaged areas, 24 hours is generally the amount of time when Mold begins to grow. In ideal conditions, labs will let Mold grow for 48 to 72 hours before testing. Mold can grow more quickly in some materials such as carpeting.
Removing all standing water from carpet, flooring and other affected areas is the first step of this multi-phase process. Dehumidifiers and other special equipment is used to dry these areas after all water is removed. Depending on the number of areas involved and the amount of water, this can take several days. Thermal imaging cameras or moisture meters are then used to ensure the areas are completely dry.
Mold removal, air duct cleaning, odor control, carpet cleaning, wood floor repair and drywall removal may also be involved to complete the water damage restoration process.
Fire Damage Restoration should begin as soon as it is safe to be in the structure. Since ash is so acidic and easily dispersed in the air when it is disturbed, something as simple as breathing on it can spread it through the air. From there, it can blanket an entire room and make it harder to remove.
When swept up into the air, the building’s climate control system will pick it up and blanket entire rooms, making it much more difficult to get rid of. Because it is acidic, it will eat away at a number of materials if it sits for long, especially glass, metal and drywall.
Food can go bad as a result of the heat from a fire. If possible, review the items with your insurance agent when they come out to inspect the damage. If that is not possible, shoot a video of all damaged products that were damaged and thrown away.